Tuesday, July 15, 2008

We Feel the Need for Speed!


This morning was a red-letter morning for sure! A huge big breath of "Ahhhhh!" Today we went with Heidi and her children to her parents cute lakefront home. It wasn't that far away, but it was a world away at the same time. Grandma Doreen made us feel right at home, and soon we had our noodles and floaties and were ready to dive on in! After some splashing around, Heidi (aka the Speed Demon) took us on a nice boat ride tour of the lake. The kids learned that they aren't fans of the "no wake zones" but they do love to say, "Hit It!" With the water and the wind it brought back so many great memories of boating with my family. Speeding around all day, waterskiing and and tubing, eating PBJs and drinking Fresca (doesn't stain the boat), listening to my Dad's Beach Boys tape, and then when the sun sets, to just toodle along lazily enjoying the peace and beauty of it all. Of course, the evenings were when I would wish so hard as a teenager that I was with a romantic beau and not my parents and 5 little siblings, but still. Well today Avandra did have a beau with her. When Michael introduced Avandra to Grandma Doreen, he introduced her as "the girl he was in love with." Heidi had given me the head's up, but Avandra looked at me with this little smile and a quizzical, "Did I just hear him right?" look. But unfortunately, when you are 6 romance doesn't look the same way as it does when you are older. In this case their boating experience was Michael following Avandra all over the boat, Avandra tattling on him, and me sitting in between. At least as a parent this kind of romance doesn't look too threatening. Anyway, thanks Heidi. It was a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

That looks wonderful. I can't believe how much your kids look like you, h., especially your oldest girl.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.