Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's a Small, Small World

I started the day a little sluggish. I've been staying up til midnight reading every night lately and it's catching up with me. So with my slow start and my husband's work schedule today, I ended up with the choice between running to the grocery store without my 3 helpers or doing my hair and makeup. If you know me, you know what I chose. So I threw a baseball cap over my undone hair and went au naturale and pas kiddos to the store.

I came back in time to unpack the bags and then it was off to the park for a bi-ward picnic. It was a fun time. But near the end, as I'm trying to kindly remove Couscous from the sandbox without losing my temper in front of church friends, a father from the other ward comes up to me and says I look familiar. He's wearing shades so I can't really see his face and he doesn't seem familiar at all. He asks me if my name is H..... "Yes..." And then he tells me his name, "Remember we worked at the MTC together." And my brain is going, "Yes, that is you. And not only did we work at the MTC together, you took me skiing, and to the University of Utah Homecoming Dance and various other outings until I eventually had to give you the friend talk."

And you know, all of a sudden I wished that I had done my hair and put on makeup this morning. It's funny that even though I'm glad he's happily married and has 4 children and I really never did have any romantic interest in him and I've got to admit that time hasn't done him any favors either, I'm vain enough to wish that when he bumped into me again he wasn't completely and obviously relieved at how life worked out.

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

So funny!!! I'm sure he could still tell that time had been good to you, baseball cap or not.

H. said...

P.S. There is something comforting about bumping into people from my former life. It's nice to know that my alter ego from my early 20s, (you know, the one who was attractive and fun and oblivious to the stresses of motherhood) really existed in some form beyond my imagination. It gives me hope that I may find her again someday.

Jen I said...

"Relieved at how life worked out" -- I love it!!! And so true. Whenever I go back to Bountiful I usually am really hoping not to bump into anyone I know. Except for the rare occasion when I think I look ok, then I think it might be a good time for that same reason! So bad.