Monday, January 7, 2008

My Daughter's First Week of 1st Grade


Congratulations to Avandra, who started her first day of 1st grade today! All the adults are ready for this to be a permanent change, but A. misses her Kindergarten friends and is less sure about this transition. So this week is a "practice week" with the intent that this will be a permanent move.

This week is going smoothly, but I'm reminded of a slightly less smooth entrance into Kindergarten in September. Shall we reminisce together?

1st Day- (Photo Shown at Left) I had horrific memories from the previous year of A. kicking and screaming as her preschool teacher bodily forced her into the classroom while she's still saying goodbye to me. So although I'm acting cool as I walk her to the bus stop, I'm gearing up for the big "FREAK OUT" at some point. But...the bus comes. A. gets on and waves goodbye. The bus drives away. WHAT??? How could I just let my little A. drive away from me like that? So OF COURSE, I quickly grabbed K and S and we ran to our house, I threw them in the van (but there really is no throwing kids in because there are all the straps and hooks of the car seats that have to get untangled at just such dire moments as these) , and followed A's bus to school. Luckily, she made it just fine. Whew!

2nd Day- You'd think the second day of school would go a lot smoother, right? You'd think. But as A was using the potty right before we had to leave, she calls out, "Mom, can you get me some toilet paper? We're out in here." Oh, no, I assure her. There's a huge pile of TP right on the floor under the TP holder, where Little Miss S had unrolled it all the day before. I just saw it earlier that moring. "No, Mom. There isn't any here anymore." Oh no...my brain starts whirring. Shad used the potty right before A. "S? Did you throw all that toilet paper into the toilet?" Why yes, she had. "Okay, A, whatever you do, DON'T flush the toilet when you're done, or else it will clog and overflow." Then I rush around putting K in the stroller and making sure S has her sandals and then I hear, "MOM! I FORGOT AND FLUSHED THE TOILET!!" I rush into the bathroom and lift her off of the toilet seat lid where she had scrambled for sanctuary and in the nick of time I stop the water in the tank from causing the toilet to overflow. Huge mess and BMs were definitely involved, but at least it all stayed in the toilet. Amazingly, we even made it to the bus on time. I tried to unclog the toilet all that day when I would get a free moment or two. No luck. So when T came home that evening, he took it to hand (or plunger as the case may be) as I got ready to head to Young Women's presidency meeting. I'm about ready to head out the door when I hear, "QUICK! GET SOME TOWELS!" "NOOOOO!" I scream and I dive into the bathroom to try to stop the water from leaving the tank, but it was too late. The previously mentioned bathroom mess was all over the floor. On the one hand, I was disgruntled that someone as smart as T didn't know how to stop the water from leaving the tank. On the other hand, I was late for my meeting, so sianara T! Have fun cleaning up the mess! But I did get him some towels before I left. T did say that my NOOOOO! may have caused him permanent hearing loss.

3rd and 4th day- I forgot to send the nutrition break snack and A got a bee sting!

Let's pray the transition to 1st grade goes better than the entrance into Kindergarten!!

3 comments:

sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen I said...

Oh I feel your pain. We have a crappy toilet and have had this problem a few times - and it's always total drama! And we made an unfortunate discovery that when the toilet overflows - it starts coming through the kitchen light fixture downstairs. Then it starts coming down through the kitchen cupboards!!!! Ugh.

B said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.