Monday, January 28, 2008

A Fond Farewell to President Gordon B. Hinckley





When I heard of the recent death of President Gordon B. Hinckley, I was filled with so many emotions. I will miss him, his wisdom and inspiration, his humor and love, his leadership. My heart is full of gratitude for the things I learned from him. However, I also know that he is enjoying the long-awaited reunion with his sweet wife. And can you imagine the welcome he is receiving right now? "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

In tribute to him, here are 5 ways he touched my life:

1. My Very Happy Marriage! When I was dating T, I found this quote by Pres. Hinckley in T's wallet: "I am satisfied that happiness in marriage is not so much a matter of romance as it is an anxious concern for the comfort and well-being of one's companion. Any man who will make his wife's comfort his first concern will stay in love with her throughout their lives and through eternity yet to come." Any wonder I married T? And I can say with a surety that T's following the counsel of the prophet has given us 8 1/2 glorious years together...with plenty more where that came from! (T still keeps that quote in his wallet.)

2. The document "Family: A Proclamation to the World". What a prophetic and much needed statement! There are so many times I've looked to that for direction and answers in this shifting world. I've also loved his talks about the preciousness of children. One of my favorites: “Never forget that these little ones are the sons and daughters of God and that yours is a custodial relationship to them, that He was a parent before you were parents and that He has not relinquished His parental rights or interest in these His little ones. Now, love them, take care of them. Fathers, control your tempers, now and in all the years to come. Mothers, control your voices; keep them down. Rear your children in love, in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Take care of your little ones. Welcome them into your homes, and nurture and love them with all of your hearts. They may do, in the years that come, some things you would not want them to do, but be patient, be patient. You have not failed as long as you have tried. Never forget that.”

3. The Perpetual Education Fund, providing loans for students in developing countries, who could otherwise not afford an education. Maybe in lieu of flowers, we could donate? Go to this website to donate.


4. Temples, Temples, Temples! In the 12 years he was President, the world went from having 50 temples, to now having 122 working temples, with more under construction! Because of his leadership on this front, I was able to attend the temple regularly in Spokane, and was blessed to work in the temple in St. Louis. Neither were there prior to 1995.

5. He was an unceasing witness of Jesus Christ! Whether on 60 Minutes or the Larry King show, whether it was by emphasizing the name of Jesus Christ in the Church logo or in creating the document The Living Christ with the other apostles. President Hinckley never let anyone doubt of His faith in our Savior!

Thank you President Gordon B. Hinckley!

3 comments:

heidi and tom said...

Amen, amen, and amen!! I will never sing the song, "We thank thee Oh God for a Prophet" again and not fondly remember President Hinckley. I loved your tribute to him.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post Heather! Thanks for sharing your feelings and for the fantastic tribute to a wonderful man.

Anne Marie said...

I'm so impressed by your thoughtful, careful post. President Hinckley has accomplished so much in the past several years. I love how Troy carries that quote with him. Thank goodness for caring, thoughtful husbands.