Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My Daughter...The Potty Hero

Gosh, I didn't think I was keen on bathroom humor, but sometimes sanity in mothering requires finding the humorous in all of our blessed experiences. I so set myself up in my last post about A. and 1st Grade. If you haven't read it, you'll need to read that one first. But if you have, here goes Part 2:

Day 2 of First Grade: I got a call from A's teacher that evening. She was concerned that A. might have been traumatized by the bathroom event earlier that day. A. hadn't mentioned anything to me at all, so I asked the teacher to fill me in. Apparently as A. was using the bathroom during school, she overheard some other girls talk about a TP roll floating in the toilet and how afraid they were that it would overflow. A. thought they were talking about her toilet and knew that she had to single-handedly save the school bathroom. She knew that if she got off the toilet that the automatic flusher would make the toilet go, and then overflow! So the hero that she is, she decided to stay put. She sent the girls to go tell their teacher. Of course the teacher comes in and is trying to figure this all it. "Is the water touching your bum?" No, but she's sure it will overflow if she gets off. The teacher can't get into the stall because it's locked and A. won't lean forward to unlock it because if she does the toilet will flush! A. suggested that the teacher call the school maintenance man, but the teacher didn't think that would be a good idea. Even with all kinds of persuasion, A. absolutely refused to get off. The teacher was about ready to crawl under the stall herself, but luckily a 2nd grader came in and agreed to crawl under and unlock the stall door. With her teacher there she decided to risk the automatic flusher and...Whew! No overflow! As A.'s teacher was telling this all to me, I was just busting up with laughter!! I could visualize it all and I was so glad I wasn't there!! But wasn't A. a hero?

3 comments:

sarah said...

Way to go, Avery!

Anne Marie said...

Hilarious! Hopefully she'll get past the toilet trauma soon.

B said...

LOL! What a sacrificing hero you have on your hands! I'm so glad her toilet wasn't actually threatening overflow!

So is she doing ok with the switch to 1st grade? My six yo, Mimi made the switch from K to 1st too, but back in September. We weren't concerned with the academic side of the switch just her emotional/social reaction. She has really blossomed though...glad to know we didn't do the wrong thing! Hope things turn out great on your end too!