Tuesday, March 3, 2009

stupid, stupid, stupid

I am so stupid. Yesterday I started the book Sarah and AnnaMarie recommended--Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I took it to the Y and started it while exercising. Wow. I was rightfully nervous about the premise (think a TV reality show like Survivor, only contestants aren't voted off, and the winner is the last one alive). But I got sucked into the story. I remember crying at some point, something about the love of the girl and her sister, which I'm sure looked ridiculous while I was on the eliptical machine. Anyway, I got home and put the book away for later. "Later" was the second my last child was in bed. I picked the book up at 8:30pm, and I honestly didn't come up for air until 11:30pm. I had no idea time was passing so quickly. I made the mistake of not giving myself a time limit, and jumped back into the book. Then it was 12:30am. I know that my kids wake at 6:30am. I know that the book will still be there when I wake up. But I'm so close to the end and I just want to know how 2 things get resolved. And guess how I'm rewarded at 1:20am? With a transitional moment and "The End of Book One" on the final page!!! Ah!! When is the sequal coming out?? I've got to know what happens! Surely Katniss will find a way to lead a rebellion against the inhumanity of the Capitol! And whatever will happen when she reunites with Gale? Did the mockingbird pin have any unknown significance? This is killing me! And yes, there was violence in it. I could never watch this story on-screen. But it didn't seem to go overboard. But I still wouldn't say it qualifies for "Wholesome and Uplifting", which are the criteria for books we read in Relief Society Book Group. I'd put it more as "Exciting and Suspenseful". But I am just dying with exhaustion as I try extra hard not to take out my stupidity on my kids in grumpiness.



You know, I know I haven't posted for awhile, and it's been a busy month, so if you want to know what's going on, please read the next post.

3 comments:

Jen I said...

I KNOW! I had no idea it was a series! I about died on the last page. So funny you mentioned that - we are actually talking about it at book group TONIGHT at my house! My suggestion. Can you believe I suggested a book I knew nothing about and had never read anything about! I just knew it was super popular last year and a ton of my friends have read it. So yeah, I start into it and am like - uh, sorry this is kind of a gruesome topic! But you're right - it isn't necessarily a gruesome read - but a movie would have to be more so. Crazy isn't it? I was ticked. Second book doesn't come out until September!

Our Loved-up Family said...

I hear you! Book 2 comes out August 5, 2009. The synopsis is: "Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge."
Can you tell I'm a fan?

B said...

That is so good to know that it is a series...I won't start reading it at least until fall then!