Tuesday, March 3, 2009

New News

February has been a busy, short month. Here's what's new with us:

1. T & I are taking a ballroom dance class together once a week. I really want us to learn to dance well together because, well, I've danced with good dancers and T just isn't one of them. I mean, he can do a killer disco, but partner dancing...? Not so much. I also hoped that our taking the class would bring us closer together and not just make me frustrated. Pride goes before the fall once again, I guess. On the first day of class I was doing my best to recall what I had learned in my BYU social and ballroom dance classes years ago. I guess I was getting a little mixed up because the first words of feedback our 70-year old Italian dance teacher gave was to me: "You are being way too bouncy. The foxtrot is supposed to be smooth and graceful." oh. maybe I wasn't the best dancer of the two of us. So that knocked me down a few notches to where I was more willing to be a team in learning together. We had a good time the first time, and the second time. We missed the third time, and the fourth time was miserable. I don't know if T was stressed because we had missed a week of instruction, or if I was being too lazy, but T started being critical of MY dancing. Excuse me? I wasn't pointing out his weaknesses, and he wasn't perfect either! The dance teacher came to help us and when I danced with the teacher I always ended up in the right spot at the right time. So it couldn't have been all me--that's all I'm saying. Anyway, wish us luck because we still have 5 more weeks to go and I don't want this to be what finally sends us into unhappy marriage-land. We probably just need to actually practice at home in between classes. That would do us a world of good.

2. We went to Texas! Sunshine, cousins! It was a wonderful time. The temperature was 30-50 degrees warmer than we are used to here. Glorious! The kids had the best time with their cousins and our family was so hospitable. I was the lamest guest I'm sure because I spent the time either tired, sleeping, reading, or feeling embarrassed that my kids are so noisy and messy! Their kids are perfect--or close to it anyway. And I came back more motivated to keep my house tidier. They were amazing. And Melissa, if you are reading this, your RS lesson was awesome. (It's STILL totally winter here. No hint of spring at all!! But Couscous finally just had enough, pulled out her bike and rode around with her snowpants and winter gear on. She did have a tough time navigating the icy patches on the sidewalk though.)

3. Haircut! Shorter than ever and I like it! It wasn't exactly intentional, but it's fun to try something new.

4. New and improved basement playroom! Thanks to our landlord, our playroom looks like a room and not just a storage area with carpet thrown on the floor. I didn't actually have to build it, but there was moving things around, and dealing with most of the toys being upstairs and messing it up.

5. Tried to do something about the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. In January, about 30 people signed my letters to Walgreens and Barnes and Noble asking them to be proactive in keeping the covers out of sight of children. It's funny because I don't know what in-store result is. I haven't even been in those stores. I did such a good job of avoiding Walgreens after last year's incident, that I don't even think about going there anymore. I didn't hear back from B&N, and I got the same exact letter from Walgreen's this year as last, only from the corporate headquarters instead of the district offices. They say that they can't just focus attention on one magazine because it's hard to draw the line of appropriateness. I kind of understand what they are saying. In truth, most popular magazines have inappropriate pictures or words on the cover. How can they say no SI, but then carry other mags that are nearly as offensive? It really needs to be blanket policy, not just focusing on one mag. The other day I was thinking that one day, Avandra is going to stop looking at the delicious looking cupcakes on the front of cooking magazines and look at the mags I don't want her to see. And she's going to ask me, "Mom, what is an org*sm?" So I decided that if/when that happens, I will say, "That's a great question. I know just the person to answer it." We'll call over the store manager and I'll say, "My daughter has a question for you." I'll let Avandra ask it, and while the manager is still stunned I'll say, "You don't need to answer that question, but may I come visit with you tomorrow about how we can make this store a little more family-friendly?" I almost wish it would happen.

4 comments:

Jen I said...

I have always said that would make a great present for Ryan to give me - dance lessons for the two of us. So interesting to read your experience! I would never have thought of that! I'm sure it will turn out fabulous. And at least you'll have a few moves you can pull out the next time you're somewhere that involves dancing.

sarah said...

That's a busy month. I hope A askes that question, because I can't wait to read about what happens! Also, can we see a picture of your new hair?!

B said...

That was a busy month! I too would love to see a pic of the hair cut.

Anne Marie said...

Good for you to write a letter about the Sports Illustrated magazine cover. I've always been so impressed by your desire to make a change. Good luck with the dance class. I'm sure things will go smoother next time.