Monday, December 22, 2008

Pride Goes Before the Fall at the Y

No, I'm not actually referring to the poor Bowl performance after the BYU Cougars' otherwise great football season. This post is actually about me at the YMCA.

I tried out a stability ball class this morning. When the first 2 people I saw were 70-year old men, I rolled my eyes and thought, "This will be a waste of an hour!" The teacher and the other class members came in and I was the youngest by at least 15 years. As we began, the teacher said to me, "I know it's your first time so just do the best you can." "Right," I thought, in a sarcastic tone of voice. "Bring it on!" But 15 minutes later those 70-year olds were kicking my heiny! At one point I was literally clutching my hamstring and mentally screaming, "Cramp! Cramp!" At this moment my legs are still feeling quivery and my abs are still tight (but from the class or snitching Christmas cookies, I don't know). At least I didn't literally fall off the ball (although another lady in the class did), but there were some very narrow escapes. Good class!

**Here's something else funny that happened today but has nothing to do with my title. I walked outside this morning and thought, "Wow! It is really not that cold today! The wind's not blowing at all! Well, my chin is getting a little cold..." I passed one of those time & temp marquees: current temperature -1 F. But it sure beat the socks off of yesterday's -30 F windchill!! Practically tropical!

2 comments:

mikey and kimby said...

-1 degrees F? Yikes! That sounds freezing, especially the -30 degree windchill.

I think my eye is doing the same and I haven't gone to the ophthalmologist yet. Yesterday, however, your mom said that my eye looks a lot better, so maybe it's healing!

Megan said...

That's too funny. I said the exact same thing to Josh today as I was coming home fromt he gym. He asked if he would need his big coat, and I said, "No, it felt nice. The car only read -1." It really didn't feel that cold :)