Friday, October 10, 2008

Politically Speaking

I've been wanting to draft a political blog post to get everyone's thoughts since the VP debate, but I've been too confused and unmotivated (especially after the last debate which was pretty much, "Vote for me because the other guy's a lying loser."). So I never actually wrote anything. But then I get tickets to Wicked and can't wait to blurt the news. So much for being a "contemplating" mama. Whatever.

The way I see it politically:
Yes, every media outlet is biased in one direction or another. My plan was to listen to the debates and then go to factcheck.org afterwards. That's pretty helpful--except when it's not. But here's what I've gathered in my little mind.

Pros for McCain/Palin:
Pro-life
More likely to support traditional family & choose judges who will too
More likely to be fiscally responsible, although factcheck.org analysts believe both candidates are proposing more than they can fund without deficit spending.
More likely to end the war in Iraq responsibly

Pros for Obama/Biden:
More likely to help with funding for college educations
More likely to help with better health care coverage
More likely to support and promote alternative energy sources
More likely to tackle the Taliban in Afganistan

Cons for McCain/Palin:
Their health insurance plan is completely inadequate.
They lack specific plans in other areas.
Republicans have done a lousy job the last 8 years and continuing in that vein makes me ill.
They lie.

Cons for Obama/Biden:
They have plans for every aspect of our lives and how they can stick their fingers into it.
They are excessively pro-choice.
They lie.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I know I do. I really DO want to figure out who to vote for and I really DON'T know what to do. My last 2 votes I voted strictly on the pro-life/traditional family issue, and frankly I don't think we're any better off in those areas than we were before. AND I also think we're way worse off in almost every other aspect. I feel like I need to extend my decision beyond those issues.

Any help out there? Please, I really do welcome any ideas into this forum. What are your thoughts right now and which direction are you headed? (Yes, I know at least 97% of my readers are Republican, but I'd like to know WHY you are voting the way you are.) THANKS!

9 comments:

John and Danielle Corrigan said...

Um well, Obama just plain scares me. Who runs for president and doesn't even say the pledge of allegiance?

And well, McCain might die soon and Palin is great, right?

Jen I said...

Yeah, I really wish I cared more. I wanted to be passionate about this election, not just apathetic because I can't see a clear winner or loser. I reminded myself recently though that when McCain was running against Romney I didn't like him and said I would be fine if Obama won if it was against McCain. So now I just don't really care.

Megan said...

I am completely with you. This could get lengthy. Neither one represents me. I'd like to think that I'm not quite that dishonest. I feel like no matter who wins, they won't do what they are claiming to be able to do. The truth is we are in such a mess that no matter what they promised in order to get elected they won't likely be able to deliver. They will spend the majority of their time in office trying to run damage control. The other conflict comes from our beliefs. The church doesn't support a polictical party, but are very clear on specific values, pro-life, and trad marriage. Do you vote for someone who you know are in direct opposition to these specific things. I don't know either. Sadly, it's all turned ugly, and I just want it to be over. I think a lot of the glum attitude comes in the realization that I just don't have a whole lot of faith in the American people, to stand on good principles, and to lead honest lives. The collapse of the economy is evidence of just how much we don't get it. Can we really expect one man to fix and change the attitudes of so many?

H. said...

Danielle, how you do you know Obama doesn't say the pledge?

H. said...

Megan, I totally agree that most of this next presidency will probably be damage control, not actually following through on their plans. So the real question maybe should be..."who will handle this current situation best" recognizing that it IS too big of an issue for one person.

Jen, I felt the same way during the primaries. Well if Obama wins, maybe we'll get a second chance with Romney in 4 years. Right about now someone with a strong reputation for being able to turn something around economically sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

Erin said...

Here's my deal...I'm not wild about McCain, and I REALLY don't like Palin. That said, I've got bigger problems with Obama. I feel like his solution to Iraq is for us to join hands and sing "Kumbaya". Nice idea...not going to work. He is idealistic and with very limited experience. And he's young. Sure, I'm younger...but I'm not running for President. I'm voting for McCain because while I don't agree with him 100% (or even 75%), I think he has the experience to make wise choices, especially in foreign policy. He doesn't seem as ego-driven. Just opinion, no fact there. And this sounds horribly judgemental, but Obama's a smoker. I have a problem with that. I won't go into why that bugs me in this post...but that's a big thing for me. And the Pledge of Allegiance thing. Yes, I know he has said it since that time...and he now salutes the flag...but some things need to happen ALL the time, not just when you know you're on camera.

That's enough rambling for now. I'm off to bed!

H. said...

Erin-- you really piqued my interest!

1. What do you REALLY not like about Palin?
2. What is it about Obama smoking that bothers you?
3. Everyone keeps saying something about Obama not saying the pledge but I'd never heard that before. What's the story behind that?

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'm glad that others are as confused as I am with the choices we have this election, or if that scares me. I know some people are really passionate about Obama or McCain, but I fell disillusioned and unconvinced that either will be able to lead us out of the mess we currently have.

As for the claim that Obama doesn't say the pledge, according to factcheck.org, that is bogus. But an accusation that has been around for a few years, so many people believe it (not that length of time should give a lie validity!).

B

danpcjr said...

The key to wisdom in life is going back to correct priniciples. Nowhere is this more true than in politics.

A wise man once said,"there are two types of beings (people), those who act and those who are acted upon." Another way to answer the politics question is to ask the follwing one: Consider for a moment- a good boss, or a parent or even God Himself. Is this someone trying to give you more responsibility in your life, or trying to take responsibility away from you?

Being an eternal prinicple, the question we must really ask at election time is will this candidate open the way for me to act for myself, or will this candidate see me as someone who must be acted upon? OR

Is this candidate going to give me more responsibility or is this candidate going to take responsibility (healthcare, education, a mortgage) away from me?

Does leaving Iraq AFAP promote responsibility or does it relieve it?

Does raising my taxes mean the government is allowing me to act or be acted upon? What about the poor people that receive a tiny fraction of the total taxes paid?