Tuesday, June 10, 2008

One of my favorite quotes EVER! And no fear, I'll never have perfectly coiffed hair.

“I don’t want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk’s lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone’s garden. I want to be there with children’s sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.” -Marjorie Peay Hinckley

6 comments:

Anne Marie said...

What a great quote! I love that pic of Sister Hinckley...it makes me think, this is what real beauty is...purity and kindness in someone's countenance.

B said...

I love this quote! I have a book of quotes from Sister Hinckley, and they never get old or trite. She was a wonderfully astute and down to earth lady!

AllMyKs said...

What a great quote! Sister Hinckley continues to be so inspiring. Wasn't she a wonderful lady and that after hearing her or reading about her, she makes you want to be a better person and know that you can? Thanks for sharing!

Michael Baxter said...

that makes me feel a little better about how my days go sometimes. peanut butter and grass stains ... love it =)

lindsy said...

oops, that last comment was me (Lindsy). Mike is my brother, I guess he was signed in before me =)

sarah said...

This is one of my favorites too! I love it. Thanks for sharing it.