Monday, June 2, 2008

Technology & Isolation

I've been thinking about something, and I know it's not the most original thought, but still. Some technology really seems to isolate. My husband gave me an iPod for Mother's Day. It was very sweet of him to do that and I have downloaded some songs that I wanted to own but just always checked out from the library. But guess what: Beyond trying it out, I have never used the iPod. I don't know when to use it. My ears are needed elsewhere. All day long I have to be able to listen to my children. I can't isolate myself by plugging my ears up. When I exercise I either need to hear Bryan Kest tell me what yoga move to do next, or else I want to hear the beautiful songbirds when I go walking. And sometimes, I just love silence. So when do I use the iPod?

Secondly, our dear blogs. On one level, blogs increase my ability to stay caught up with others, especially those that live far away from me. Blogs even decrease my isolation by increasing my virtual social network. However, here is one interesting point: there are people who live near me, who I see at church and at playgroup, and yet we find out more about each other on our blogs than we do by talking in person or on the phone! In that case, it seems like we've distanced ourselves from each other. We've gone from personal to virtual. Maybe reading others' blogs appeals to our snooping tendencies. We can rubberneck without having to get involved.

I'm glad people care about me and want to read my blog. Thanks for reading and please don't stop! I also really enjoy checking out everyone else's blogs. But maybe sometimes I should put down the mouse and pick up the phone. I definitely prefer personal friendship to virtual friendship if given the choice. What do you think? How does technology affect our relationships?

6 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I'm totally with you on this one. I've been thinking a lot about my relationship to blogging lately. I really do learn from people's blogs and enjoy them, and I feel like it does provide a support network of sorts. But I have been forcing myself to check blogs a little less often just so I can focus on what's here in front of my face. I want to be meeting friends at the park, swimming at the pool, going to the library, talking to my boys, reading to my boys, and while I don't want to do laundry or dishes, I need to focus on those more too. It's tricky to find a good balance, but I think it's essential for our well-being to focus most of our energy on the people right around us. Thanks for your thoughts.

Anne Marie said...

By the way, h., have you read "The Shelter of Each Other" by Mary Pipher? I highly recommend it. I just barely finished it, and she discusses some of the costs of our fast-paced, techno culture. The first hundred and the last fifty pages were my favorite. The middle part gets a little tedious with all her stories of families she's known in therapy.

Jen I said...

Get a docking station for your ipod so you can just play it outloud for all to enjoy. That's what we did. Or I use it when I exercise with the earplugs in. (Which means about never!) You can also get an adapter to play it in your car.

Darcy said...

Aldi's has the I pod docking station this week for I believe 19.95 not sure what they nomally run? I was tempted to get one for me! I just listen to mine when I am at the gym it is the only way I get through running on the treadmill!

AnnaMarie said...

I think we love blogs so much because who can say all that we write in any conversation we have in our contact with each other? I'd have to talk to you like 20 minutes on 10 different topics every day. And it'd be way too much talking about myself to be considered polite.

I use my iPod TO isolate myself, I think. Just to have time to have my own thoughts and music and books on CD in my head. I also use it when I run so I don't have to think about being tired. But I exercise at night, and don't hear birds singing then.

Thanks for the call about the garage sale, again! You can see on my blog that Katie loves the toys!

Daina Bitters said...

Hi Heather,
I too got an ipod for Mom's Day. That's because I used Shawn's all the time. So I use mine when I go running and now that I have a mind-freeing part time job I listen to it there. Especially because I don't have anyone to talk to for long stretches of time. I download podcasts of General Conference, "This American Life," and "Studio 360" and Garrison Keillor, and "Fresh Air" It is my input time. Its the only time I get to ingest some meaty info. Sure there are some days that I want to just run and listen to the world around me, so I do. You could also save some chores after the kids are asleep like folding laundry or dishes and listen to it then. Of course that is if your husband isn't around to talk to.