Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!


Mother's Day reminds me of Mother's Day 2003. I had one active young child, a husband with early morning Sunday meetings, and if I remember right, he even had to speak that Sunday which left me alone in Sacrament Meeting. I remember ripping my brand-new dress trying to get my uncooperative child picked up and out the door to church. All in all, I remember being filled with a sense of unfulfilled entitlement. I was MOTHER! It was my day, right? Where were my perfectly obedient child, my kowtowing husband, and lavish gifts of gratitude for my hard work?


A few days later I met with my dear friends Sarah and Jannika. As our daughters all played together we talked about our respective Mother's Days. I told about my feelings and Sarah shared her feelings of guilt at not being a perfect mother. Then Jannika said simply, "I just feel so grateful that I get to be a mother."


That was quite an "A-ha!" moment for us. Sarah and I reminisce about how poignant that was, and my Mother's Days have been more meaningful thanks to Jannika's beautiful perspective.


(It is an extra special time to remember this because the day after Mother's Day I get to reunite with both Sarah and Jannika for the first time since May2004! This is also the first time I get to see Jannika again since her miraculous victory over cancer. I'm so grateful for our friendship and the time we shared together maternity clothes shopping, supporting each other with our newborn baby girls, Thursday lunches, and later playdates with toddlers. Joanna, we'll miss you.)

1 comment:

sarah said...

We're looking forward to your visit!!!!